Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuesday July 13 --An Olive Oil Adventure!

Last night, following an Atkins recipe from the 2010 book, I pureed some fresh strawberries to make strawberry vinagarette. After straining them and adding some ingredients, the final ingredient was  -extra virgin olive oil. I put that in and tasted it and YUK!! 

What had tasted fine in the pumpkin seed pesto I had just made was a disaster in the vinegarette. What were they thinking??? I Dumped it all out.

Today, while having lunch with my son and daugther in law (I found out that Mole Sauce does not contain a lot of carbs so I suggested we go to a Mexican restaurant -- I said no rice please but ate some refried beans and was totally satsified.  I mentioned that I wished there was somewhere I could go to taste different kinds of olive oil to see what I liked and my son said, "There is an olive and vinegar tasting place right down the street!"  Who knew? It was like instant gratification... we went in to "Seasonings" and the walls were lined with cannisters of olive oil and balsamic vinegars of all types...including dark cherry and chocolate venegars and EVOO's with lemon, apple and truffle aspects..you just grab a little paper cup and taste to your heart's delight. I bought a lemony light olive oil and a blueberry balsamic which I had over a leafy salad with blueberries tonight. I just put a little in some plain yoghurt and yum!! It's awfully sweet though-- so now I need to go look it up on Atkins..I think balsamic is okay after induction.

For dinner I made hamburgers on the grilll (grassfed) and made sure mine were very rare. I found that eating them that way made me not miss the bun one iota. A slice of meunster and some avocado on the side, plus the leafy greens was just perfect along with some unsweetened passionfruit iced tea.

 This is the way hamburger tasted when I was a kid and I used to pick it out of the pan as my mom was cooking it. Since the meat is from  local, grass fed steer on small farms, I am not concerned about eating the meat rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment