Thursday, July 22, 2010

Down over a pound when you least expect it -- breaking habits

Yesterday morning I was frustrated because my weight went up 2 pounds when I least expected it. This morning I was shocked to see my weight had dropped 3 pounds when I least expected it.

Yesterday I had my 3 year old grandaughter, who, having stayed overnight -- which means only partial sleep for me- stayed with me the rest of the day. We had lots of fun doing a variety of out door things - nothing vigorous for me but I was active. I had eggs and sausage for breakfast and we snacked on nuts then I took Zoe to McDonalds as she said she'd like to have a burger and we were nearby. She had fries and a cheeseburger and I ordered a Latte on Ice with sugar free vanilla syrup and a quarter pounder. (I have Never orderd a quarter pounder before.)  THe latte was a bust because I really can't stand strong coffee...I threw it away for water.  I tossed the top of the roll and felt guilty eating real catsup and the skimpy bottom half - well - not guilty exactly -- more like concern. I snitched a few fries from Zoe before they got cold. I was still feeling really hungry. So I ordered ANOTHER quarterpounder-- tossing the top of the roll again (which is 3 times the size of the bottom half.) - For afternoon snack I had an Atkins Indulge Bar (like a baby snickers)  and after dropping Zoe off at 3:30, and going grocery shopping, I ate a Breyers Carb Smart icecream bar on the way home. I considered it a fully indulgent, Junk Food Day. Not a lick of salad, My only vegetable was the pickle on my burger.

Somehow, I got a second wind, and starting cleaning the bathrooms, vaccuming and sweeping the patio for Zoe's b-day party on Saturday. Dinner time rolled around and I wasn't hungry and my husband wasn't coming home, so I decided not to eat. Around 8 PM -- still not hungry, but a little restless, I ate half of Zoe's leftover banana with peanut butter on it. THen I drank some water and watched my son play baseball on TV. I felt like I'd taken a vacation from health eating for the day.  So what a surprise when I hopped on the scale and was down to 185.4 --A pound lower than I've been since returning to Atkins. Go figure.

But the take away from this, for me, is-- maybe eating hearty protein at morning and lunch (With a few more veggies) and not eating much dinner really is a good idea for me. Though it's rare that I don't have to cook dinner --it doesn't mean I have to eat it and I wonder how often I AM eating it out of habit and circumstance, rather than hunger.  So that will be my experiment for the next few days. Making sure I get ample protein and seeing if Dinner is extraeneous....why a meal when I small snack will do?

Walked the canal this morning -- two guys were setting up to fish with these cool, fancy sort inner tubes that looked like baby plontoons. They had seats and their legs will dangle in the river....I think I need one!!!  I"ve been thinking about exploring more seriously what I can do to enjoy the Delaware besides kayak - since that takes a lot more effort and help from at least one other person.  Going to research Skiddo's and fishing with an expert guide I know, who could show me the ropes of fly fishing...

At 6:30 AM, the canal and river were misty with fog, with bright rays of sunshine crashing through. Beautiful.  At 69 degrees. I didn't have my camera or cell phone camera-- so this picture from two days before will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment