Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pumpkin Shortage

Who knew? I went to three grocery stores yesterday before I was told that because of a poor crop of pumpkins last season, people started hoarding the  canned pumpkin several weeks ago (?) for this Thanksgiving?
 The canned pumpkin shelves were bare. So, I had to leave it out--I put the cheesecake into my really nice stoneware, fluted edge pie plate instead of my springform pan, which was going to be too big, and it turned out great. The pecan crust was almost as good as graham cracker--just different really. And the filling was not overly sweet -- just right in fact.

I stayed at the first picnic till the burgers and hot dogs were served. I was surprised that there wasn't any kind of green salad or veggies really, so my meal was a bald burger and a really overcooked hotdog-- but I did take a couple of slices of mozzarella from between the tomatoes to make the burger slide down easier. It was also really well done. (Tip to self, bring your lo-carb ketchup with you barbecues!)

We went on to the next party- it was dark by the time we got there and little outdoor lighting so I really couldn't see what was available  to eat except lots of brownies. I did finally find the roast pork and had a little bit, but then just went for my own Atkin's safe cheesecake and a diet coke.

It was nice, actually, not to be too concerned with the food fare and just focus on talking with the many people I hadn't seen since leaving Rodale. Made some great Jim Thorpe connections for future tours, in fact.

We were way out in the country and the skies were chock full of stars. Kids were playing with sparklers and someone put a dayglo ring on my dog's collar so we wouldn't lose each other.  I didn't even look at the brownies twice-- a former very favorite food of mine. Pretty soon Ill have to make up the Atkin's version and see what that's like....but today I tried to stay away from sweeteners and just eat sensible snacks like peanut butter on celery.

I think I have been reasurring myself that I CAN have access to lots of sweet, chocolately and dessert like things.. now that I know I can, it's good tor realize that I need to focus on the savory as well as the sweet and keep my eye on getting the requisite salads and veggies in every day.

We're going to a ball game tonight, so in honor of that, I'm having a hot dog and cheese in a low carb wrap-- "sauteed" in a little olive oil spray....with some sauerkraut on the side. --

As far as I can tell, I'm staying within a 25 gram-30 gram limit- which is well within Ongoing Weight-Loss standards. And my appetite was really low today. I chucked the last few bites of my cheesecake breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment