Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Has it really been 10 days since my last post???

Well, I guess it's getting too boring -- that's the thing about regular "dieting" or lifestyle changes. The weight loss is slow and so the drama is gone. You're just slogging through and there's lots of variation in the scale- up and down, that can be deceptive.

Once again, if I haven't already said this, I've realized that fooling around with sweet recipe that try to mimic sugar laden pastries, cookies, etc are a major waste ot time, money and and ingredients.

Over the past week I have made recipes that people raved about online, and I almost barfed from.

For Example - the One Minute Muffin -- which was pure flaxseed flour, egg and agents for rising...that you cook for one minute in the microwave...uggggghhhh. That was the main barf fest.

Then I made some okay ish blueberry muffins from Almond Flour ---I think adding vital wheat flour would probably improve the density issue.

I also made some chocolate peanut butter cookies from one of the Atkins's books and blaaaaaaaaah.. The only ingredient I did not have was chocolate extract -- maybe it would have made the chocolate flavor more instense...I used stevia instead of splenda -- they were really dry and hardly sweet at alll and I found them utterly unappealing-- and my grandaugter felt the same way.

So instead of scouring cookbooks and websites for other people's ideas of delightful sweet treats without sugar, I am opting for fruit and cheeses as the only decent source to assuage a sweet tooth --and the Atkins Bars, which still really taste like snickers to me (the little indulge bar) and I don't seem to really mind the sugar alcohols.  Better to learn more about how to cook, season, marinate and sauce various sources of protein than to vainly go in search of a recipe that will never fulfill a raging sweet tooth that's trying to go into remission.  BTW, Atkins peanut butter cups are pretty good too and a nice after dinner treat.

The scale was up today but I was on the run yesterday and ate no salads and little veggies...and I put on pants I wore at my reunion, which starrted all this and they were hanging off me like I'd lost 20-25 pounds, not just 15. No kidding!

I was so proud of myself yesterday-- at a big flea market where all you saw was pretzels and the usual sugary and doughy Pa fare, I found myself very hungery but unwilling to budge on Atkins. We finally found an indoor Amish meat market and I asked for a few slices of ham and turkey and part of an end of  farmer's cheese I saw stuck in a little baggy -- and walked around eating that with my fingers rather than succumb to all the typical greasy, carbohydrate laden stuff that was being offered every 30 feet.  I rather amazed myself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment